EMDR Research Update 2015
3 new studies were granted $25,000 awards in 2015:
- Pagani,M. Neurobiological features and response to EMDR treatment of PTSD in breast cancer patients.
- Osctacoli, L. & Hofmann, A. Role of Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) versus Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) in reducing depressive symptoms in patients with Current Depressive Episodes and Recurrent Depression: a multicenter randomized controlled trial.
- Amann, B. Comparison of a novel Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Bipolar protocol versus Supportive Therapy (ST) in the prevention of affective relapse in bipolar patients with a history of trauma: a multicenter single-blind randomized controlled trial.
6 Foundation-funded studies are in progress - with one each in the area of:
childhood - depression - veterans - sex offenders - PTSD neuroanatomy - fibromyalgia
2 studies have been completed and presented in conference:
- Bira, L., Stuetzle, R & Ironson, G. (2014) Determining person-treatment fit for brief treatment of trauma in a community setting: which interventions are best for whom? Paper presented at the annual meeting of the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies, Miami.
- Hermans, E. L.D. De Voogd: None. J.W. Kanen: None. K. Roelofs: None. G. Fernández: None. E.J. Hermans: None.Neurobiological basis for EMDR: the medial temporal lobe suppression hypothesis. Preliminary results were presented as a poster in October 2015 at the annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, Chicago.
2 studies were completed and submitted for publication:
- Butler, C. Comparing the efficacy of Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing to treatment as usual for veterans with military-related post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Sarno. M. Effectiveness of a 5-day EMDR treatment for PTSD.
2 have been accepted/published:
- Schubert SJ, Lee CW, deAraujo G, Butler SR, Taylor G, Drummond P (in press) The effect of eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) to treat symptoms following trauma in Timor Leste. Journal of Traumatic Stress.
- Pagani M, DiLorenzo G, Monaco L, Daverio A, Giannoidas I, LaPorta P, Verardo AR, Niolu C, Fernandez, I & Siracusano A (2015) Neurobiological response to EMDR therapy in clients with different psychological traumas. Frontiers in Psychology 6:1614, doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2015.O1614.